Besides Park Maksimir as a whole, many other
single objects in Park Maksimir are protected as cultural assets:
BISHOP HAULIK’S NEW VILLA (Z-0480/Nar.
It is presumed it was constructed in 1855, but
there are no reliable sources on that. The façade with shallow
risalit that ends with a low triangular gable, the formation
of roof chaplet, shallow carved large windows, bow windows, motives
of the three windows on risalit, it all makes a composition of
early phase of romantic historicism. Blueprint of the Villa has
not been found yet, but it is presumed its author could be Franjo
Klein judging only by female allegorical figures, which he richly
placed on all of his façades. Today Parish office of St. Jeronim’s
parish is located in the Villa.
/ Bishop Haulik’s new Villa, source: archive PIM /
GATEKEEPER’S CABIN (Z-0475/Nar. nov.,
Single-story house of orthogonal layout under
four-sided roof that used to be covered with green shiest was
built in 1847. Plans of façade and layout with the signature
of bishop’s commissioner and head of construction works Leopold
Philipp have been preserved, which somewhat differ of constructed.
In the past, it was used as accommodation for two uniformed disabled
park keepers and guides for foreigners, from where the name comes
from. The flat had two rooms and a kitchen with open fire.
/ Gatekeeper's cabin, source: archive
ECHO PAVILION (Z-0478/Nar. nov., 18/03)
It was constructed after 1840 after Franza
and is the only preserved pavilion in Park Maksimir, also known
as Lantern-Temple. On a twelve sided stone pedestal, wooden
rocks are separated with half-colons with capitals made of stylistic
leaves. Rocks are penetrated with ten semicircle windows and
two entrances. Echo pavilion is a common garden facility in early
Romanticism gardens with symbolic significance of dedication
to mountain Nymph. The pavilion was built in the honor of goddess
Echo, and it especially well echoes sounds, which makes it a
special attraction, which is intertwined in its name. Public
institution „Maksimir“ renovated the pavilion in 2001.
Also known under the name Kiosk, was constructed in the period
from 1841 to 1843, by Franza Schücht's design. It is the most
notable object, the center from which paths branch, around which
the main park's parties are grouped. It is a stereo metric two-floor
corpus, 17 meters in height, with a quadratic design in the ground
floor surrounded with a porch and a tower placed at the edge
of the northeast façade. All the façades are the same. On the
corners of the porch are strong quadratic pillions divided with
shallow pilasters and two central pillions on both sides of the
steps. The corner ones are stone made and the central are wooden.
On the openings vary semi circled endings and lunettes separated
from the opening with a coronal. Terraces are fenced with grated
fence made of cast iron. The tower ends on the third floor with
a triangular gable. Pillions, pilasters, circled endings of openings,
triangular gable, are characteristic Paladi motives, and Viennese
architecture varies them in instrumentation of façade of cubic
established corpus of the building. Public institution »Maksimir«
renovated the Gazebo in 2002.
/ Gazebo, source: archive PIM /
SWISS HOUSE (Z-0476/Nar. nov., 18/03)
Single-story house, known as Tyrolean house, as well, was constructed
by Franza Schücht's design, during 1841, and was completed in
fall 1842. Ground floor was made of hewed stone, first floor
made of roughly hewed oak beams, encircled with wooden balcony
supported with four wooden beams. A balcony is located under
the canopy as well. Two-parted truss is covered with shiest.
It belongs to stylized rustic architecture, and that is where
it got its name from. Haulik's salon gives a special value to
the house, made of wooden plating and richly carved baroque ceiling,
which Michael Sebastian Riedl from Augustinian monastery in Klosterneuburg
acquired as a gift from Provost Jakob Ruttenstock. Windows and
balcony doors are decorated with 12 stained-glass windows with
scenes from Swiss and Tyrol landscapes made by Antun Kothgaser
according to Antun Gurk's sketches. Public institution “Maksimir”
has renovated the house in 2005.
/ Swiss house, source: archive PIM /
OBELISK (Z-0477/Nar. nov., 18/03)
Pyramidal shaped monument OBELISK, work of sculptor Josepha
Käschmann, Archbishop Juraj Haulik placed in 1843 in the
Valley of dahlias in the honor of the end of works in Park Maksimir.
It was built in a way that a square pedestal was placed on the
bottom steps, and on it a pyramidal shaped obelisk was placed.
On the back, left and right side of square pedestal three bronze
laurel corollas were embedded. On the pyramidal part of the monument,
on each side embedded are another four smaller bronze laurel
corollas. On the front side of the square part stands a metal
panel with text written in Latin. In it Haulik stated his motive
for designing Park Maksimir. A stone panel is placed below the
metal panel and on it a translation of the Latin text by landscape
architect Smiljan Klaiæ (1912 - 1989) is carved in, which says:
»AS A HELP FOR THE NEEDY, WHICH DID NOT GIVE WAY TO SLOTH, TO
PEACEFUL CITIZENS AS ENCOURAGEMENT FOR MORE USEFUL AND PLEASANT
FARMING, AS AN ADORNMENT OF METROPOLIS, AS WELL AS THE PRIDE
OF HOMELAND AND SOLES TIRED OF PUBLIC WORKS AND LIFE'S REALITY,
TO FRESHEN UP WITH INNOCENT DELIGHTS OF NATURE, THESE GROVES,
WHOSE EMBELLISHMENT I WANTED FOR A LONG TIME, AND RECENTLY SOMEWHAT
TRIED ALONG WITH SURROUNDING FIELDS AND ACCORDING TO CAPABILITY
EMBELLISH, AND PLACED THIS AS A MODEST PROOF JURAJ HAULIK, ZAGREB'S
BISHOP, KINGS DEPUTY OF BAN'S HONOR IN THE YEAR OF SALVATION
Public institution »Maksimir« renovated the monument in 2001.
/ Obelisk, source: archive PIM /
ST. JURAJ’S CHAPEL (Z-0473/Nar. nov.,
It was constructed during the period from 1862 to 1864 in New-gothic
stile in the place where Public temple used to be »on an elevated
location near the villa (that is Haulik's villa)«. Although original
architectonic blueprints were not found, it is noticeable from
the preserved notes that Bishop Haulik asked Tyrolean workshop »Glasmalerei-Anstalt« to do the project and design of the chapel.
It was a new workshop created in Innsbruck in 1861 by Albert
Neuhauser (1832 - 1861), painter on glass, self-taught architect
Josef Vonstadl (1928 - 1893) and painter Georg Mander. In it,
Archbishop Juraj Haulik wanted to be buried. The basis was shaped
as a cross with short wings of the transept and polygonal shrine.
Walls were made of brick, and construction parts of stone. Façade
with portal, on which a high window with pointed arch continues,
ends with distaff. The other two large windows are on the wings
of transept. Roof was covered with shiest. Inside walls were
painted with »stone grease so that it seems it is made of ashlars«.
On the ceiling, between the ribs, golden stars are painted on
a blue background. The floor is paved with black and white tiles.
Fence around the chapel is made of cast iron bars. Construction
and design is a collective work of domestic and international
masters. Sculptor Michael Stolzer made a high relief in wood
with the figure of St. Juraj for the altar above a black marble
table. Stain-glass windows are dedicated to figures from the
Old and New Testament (Moses and Aron, Peter and Paul), and above
the portal to Our Lady with Christ and John the Babtist. Stain-glass
windows are covered with grids. Hanging lamp made of gilded brass
is a work from Neuhauser workshop, as well. The ceiling was painted
by Viennese painter Josef Proksch. Masonry works were done by
Andrea Tessitori from Fulani. Benches were made in Lepoglava
penitentiary, and Haulik's klecalo was purchased in Vienna.
Contractors were city geodesist from Zagreb 's city service »Construction-firefighting
committee« Janko Nikola Grahor (1827-1906), and construction-stone
carving master Franjo Klein (1828-1889). The chapel was sanctified
in October 1869.
/ St. Juraj’s chapel, source: archive PIM /
BISHOP HAULIK’S VILLA (Z-0474/Nar. nov.,
Classicistic building constructed according to Franz
Schücht's design in the period from 1839 to 1840. It is a high, single-story,
right triangular building with central risalit that ends with
a triangular, richly profiled garble, centrally monogrammed G.
H. In front is a terrace, and in the back a double staircase
in between which is the entrance to the basement. Openings continue
in a semi circle above a prominent corona that goes around the
whole house. Apartment consists of a salon, study, bedroom, small
foyer and several small servants' chambers. Salon opens to the
terrace, its layout is square, and walls are divided with pilasters
and recesses. In the bedroom we can see a bath tub placed in
the floor and covered with parquet, which is a rarity for that
time. The house with rose garden was separated from the park
with a green painted fence. In the description from 1869 it was
stated that the roof was covered with yew shingle, and that beside
it there is a small greenhouse with one glass wall and walled
in heating pipes. Supervisor of construction works was Andrija
A complex of outhouses that were supposedly
constructed at the same time as Haulik’s villa, during the period
from 1839 to 1840. Today it is used as a facility of the Institute
for dairy and livestock at Faculty of agronomy, University of
Large outhouse with an unknown construction date, but it is
known that it already existed in 1853. It has a linear design,
roof with two canopies covered with tile, ground floor and a
high first floor on which south and north façade are two horizontal
lines of low, narrow windows, so that the building appears as
if it had two floors. Only attic windows were installed on the
garble, and later on six windows were installed but they are
inappropriate in shape and size along the whole garble. In the
central axis of the south façade is entrance door, and in front
of it is an elevated wooden porch covered with a single-canopy
roof. The inside rooms were used for cocoons of the silkworm.
Today it is used as storage house of Faculty of agronomy, University
/ Silk factory, source: archive PIM /
BEEHIVE (Z-0481/Nar. nov., 18/03)
Single-story building constructed in 1853 with one-story central
part intended as an apartment for the beekeeper. Two long ground
floor wooden wings are added to the object, where beehives are
located. Originally, about 200 beehives were placed in it. Today
it is used for educational purposes for beekeeping class at Faculty
of agronomy, University of Zagreb.